Cornbread, Sausage, and Apple Dressing
by May 15, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Cooked pork sausage, chopped apple, and sage flavor this savory cornbread dressing. The dressing is an excellent choice for a holiday meal with turkey, chicken, or ham.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up and stirring, until lit is no longer pink. Remove the sausage and set aside.
- Pour off any excess drippings. Add the butter, chopped apple, onion, celery, and green onion. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the green onion and cook 1 minute longer.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbled cornbread and bread pieces in a large bowl. Toss with the sage, thyme, marjoram,and parsley.
- Stir the onion mixture and cooked sausage to the bread and herb mixture. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and gently stir. Add more chicken broth, as needed, to make a moist mixture. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Spoon into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Potluck Chicken and Dressing Casserole
After-the-Holiday Hot Turkey Sandwich With Gravy