Corn Custard With Bacon
by April 26, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Cooked corn kernels are used to make this delicious custard. The corn custard is topped with some extra corn kernels and diced bacon. You can leave the bacon out if you like, or use diced cooked ham.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter four 6-ounce custard cups of ramekins.
- Steam or boil the corn following the package directions; drain well. Transfer 1/2 cup of the corn to a small bowl and set aside for the topping.
- Put 2 cups of the hot drained corn in a blender with the milk; puree until quite smooth. Place a mesh sieve over a bowl and strain the liquids into the bowl. Use a wooden spoon to force as much liquid as possible through the sieve. Discard the solids.
- Whisk the eggs into the corn and milk mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the custard mixture among the prepared custard cups and them place them in a deep baking dish or pan. Add enough hot water to a depth of about one-third up the sides of the ramekins.
- Carefully place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of a custard comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, while the custard is baking, cook the diced bacon until crisp. Stir in the green onion and remaining 1/2 cup of corn kernels and saute for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the ham, green onion, and corn mixture onto each hot custard just before serving.
Makes 4 individual servings.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Quick Stovetop Scalloped Corn
Fresh Cream Style Corn Recipe