by April 29, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
The filling for this eggplant casserole is made with diced eggplant, eggs, and shredded cheese.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Dice the eggplant (peel it or leave it unpeeled) and place it in a steaming basket over about 1 inch of simmering water. Steam the eggplant just until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender. Add the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread the two slices of bread with the butter and cut into cubes. Stir the eggplant and bread cubes into the onion mixture. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano. Add the eggplant mixture to the beaten egg mixture along with half of the cheese; stir until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the buttered baking dish and cover with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Baked Eggplant with Cheddar Cheese
Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Eggplant Skillet Dinner