Broccoli, Rice, and Cheese Casserole
by May 16, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
This broccoli casserole comes together with a homamade cheese sauce. It's made with cooked rice, frozen broccoli (or fresh cooked), and some sliced mushrooms. If you prefer fresh mushrooms, cook 4 to 6 ounces of sliced mushrooms in a tablespoon or two of butter or olive oil and add an extra 1/4 cup of milk or broth to the sauce mixture.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 32 minutes
Total Time: 44 minutes
- Steam the broccoli florets in a small amount of water until just tender. Or follow the package directions for frozen broccoli. Drain well.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked broccoli and rice; blend well.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onion in 3 tablespoons of butter until softened. Add the flour and stir until well incorporated; continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the mushrooms with liquid (approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup of liquid) and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir the sauce into the broccoli and rice mixture and then turn it into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with Diana Rattray the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and toss with the bread crumbs; sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and topping is browned.
Makes 6 Servings
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Broccoli Crunch Salad Recipe
Broccoli Salad With Sesame Dressing Recipe