Skillet Apple-Rhubarb Pie
by Updated April 5, 2017,
A spiced apple and rhubarb filling make this delicious skillet pie fragrant and delicious. Feel free to use your own favorite pastry dough in this recipe. Serve warm or cool with a scoop of ice cream or a little whipped cream.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Sift 2 cups of flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Cut in shortening and add enough milk to make a soft, workable dough.
- Knead briefly on a floured surface and form into a smooth ball.
- Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
- Roll out into a 14-inch circle. Lightly grease a heavy 10-inch ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron.
- Lift dough into skillet, letting excess hang over sides.
- Combine chopped fruit, sugar, 1/3 cup of flour and spices and spoon into crust; dot with butter.
- Fold up overhang over fruit, leaving center uncovered.
- Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 400 F oven for about 50 minutes or fruit is tender.
- Cover the pastry with foil if browning to fast.
- Serve hot or cooled with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
More Apple and Rhubarb Pie and Dessert Recipes
French Apple Bread Pudding
Apple Pastry Squares
Swiss Apple Pie