Oatmeal Cake With Easy Coconut Topping
by Updated April 25, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
This spiced oatmeal cake is made with a delicious coconut pecan frosting which goes on the hot cake and is lightly browned.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Bring water to a boil.
- Put the oats in a bowl then stir in the boiling water until blended. Set aside to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan or spray with baking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the 1/2 cup of butter until light. Add granulated sugar and 1 cup brown sugar gradually, beating well. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Mix in the oat mixture until blended. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Meanwhile, combine the topping ingredients. Spread the topping over the hot cake and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until topping is lightly browned.
- Blend together the peanut butter, cream, and vanilla. Add sifted confectioners' sugar, adding more cream or confectioners' sugar if necessary for spreading consistency.
- Spread a thin layer of icing over cooled cake.
Calories per serving: 295
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Cake Recipes
Oatmeal Chocolate Cake
Sour Cream Layer Cake
Old Fashioned Chocolate Spice Cake
German Chocolate Cake