Favorite Swiss Steak
by Updated April 23, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
A tasty Swiss steak recipe with tomatoes, vegetables, and seasonings. This makes a delicious everyday family meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Cut steak into 6 serving-size pieces.
- In a food storage bag, combine 3 tablespoons flour, mustard, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Rub over steak and pound with a meat tenderizing mallet.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add steak pieces; brown on both sides. Transfer browned steak pieces to a greased 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Top with the carrots, onion, and green pepper. Sprinkle with brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour tomatoes over all. Cover and bake until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Strain juices into a measuring cup and add water to make 1 cup. In a saucepan, combine the 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 cup water, stirring until smooth. Whisk in the 1 cup pan juices.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil, stirring, until thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve gravy with the steak.
Calories per serving: 356
Fat per serving: 16.1g
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Steak Recipes
Broiled Skirt Steak and Peppers
Easy Skillet Steak and Potatoes
Chuck Wagon Salisbury Steak
Pepper Steak with Noodles
Skillet Steaks with Red Wine Sauce