Butter Cake with Fig Frosting
by Updated April 20, 2017,
This one-layer cake is just the right size for many families. The butter vanilla cake is topped with a cooked frosting with chopped figs.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Sift flour once, measure, then add baking powder and salt. Sift all together two more times. Set aside.
- Cream butter; add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat well.
- Add flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk and ending with the flour. Beat until smooth after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; carefully remove to a rack to cool thoroughly.
- Combine egg white, sugar, water, and lemon juice in top of double boiler; beat with an electric mixer until well mixed. Place over rapidly boiling water, beating constantly, and cook for 4 minutes, or until frosting will stand in peaks. Remove from the boiling water and add lemon peel, almond extract, and figs.
- Beat until thick enough to spread.
- Frosts top and sides of an 8-inch square cake.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe