Buttermilk Coffee Cake
by Updated April 17, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
This buttermilk coffee cake is made with a brown sugar and cinnamon streusel topping.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Stir together 2 cups flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Measure 3/4 cup of mixture and set aside for topping. To remaining flour mixture add 1/3 cup flour; blend well. Add egg, buttermilk, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough into a buttered 9-inch square pan.
- Mix together the reserved flour sugar mixture and the chopped walnuts or pecans; sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake coffee cake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let coffee cake cool in pan then cut into serving-size pieces.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Coffee Cake Recipes
Yogurt Coffee Cake Recipe
Quick and Easy Coffee Cake