Turkey with Apple-Sausage Stuffing
by Updated April 11, 2017,
This roasted turkey is basted with apple cider and stuffed with a flavorful apple and sausage stuffing. Be sure to remove all stuffing from the turkey at serving time; it should never be stored in the turkey.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 to 6 hours depending on size
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Remove giblets from turkey; wash and pat dry. Season turkey inside and out with salt and pepper. Fill body cavity with the Apple-Sausage stuffing below, or use your favorite stuffing.
- Place turkey on rack in a shallow roasting pan; pour 1/2-inch of hot water under turkey. Brush turkey with oil. Roast for about 20 minutes per pound (check turkey label for more accurate cooking times for whatever size you have). After 1 hour, baste with drippings, then baste occasionally after that with the drippings and apple cider.
- If any portion of the turkey browns too soon, cover with pieces of foil. Turkey is done when leg joint moves very easily, or a meat thermometer registers about 175 F in meaty portion of thigh.
- Remove from oven, tent with foil, and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove all stuffing to a bowl; carve turkey and serve.
- Brown sausage meat in a large skillet or Dutch oven, stirring with a fork to break up. Remove meat to a large bowl; pour off excess fat.
- Add butter to skillet, then onion and celery; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Add bread cubes, turning to toast lightly. Add mixture to sausage in bowl.
- Add chopped apples and seasonings; toss to mix well. Add broth for softer stuffing. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stuff cavity of turkey then cook as directed.
Calories per serving (based on 5 ounces of turkey meat per person): 677
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
More Turkey Recipes
Baked Turkey and Ham Hash