Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
by Updated April 10, 2017,
Cocoa Layer Cake
This easy chocolate cake is made with cocoa - mixed in one bowl.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature before starting.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Into a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa; whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Add shortening, eggs, vanilla, milk, and water to the dry mixture; beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans on a rack for 15 minutes; remove and place layers directly on racks to cool completely.
Calories per serving: 287
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Frost with fluffy white or buttercream frosting.
Moist Vanilla Cupcakes
Chocolate Upside-Down Cake
Brown Sugar Chocolate Cake
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake With Pecan Praline Topping