Braised Short Ribs
by Updated April 9, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
The slow cooker is the perfect way to cook delicious, melt-in-your mouth beef short ribs. After cooking, keep the ribs warm and separate the fat from the juices. Cook the juices down in a saucepan on the stovetop for about 6 to 8 minutes. If you want to thicken the juices, use about 1 tablespoon of flour mixed with a tablespoon of cold water; stir the mixture into the reduced juices.
Cook Time: 8 Hours
Total Time: 18 minutes
- Combine flour, oregano, parsley, salt, and garlic powder; coat short ribs with mixture by dredging or shaking in a food storage bag. Discard any remaining flour mixture.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown short ribs on all sides in hot oil. Drain well and place in slow cooker. Add chopped onions, carrots (if using), water, and beer.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10 to 12 hours, or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve with rice or potatoes.
- If desired, skim off fat and put juices in a saucepan and cook down until reduced and more flavorful. Mix together a little flour and cold water and add to juices if you want a thicker gravy to serve with the meat (stir in a little at a time while cooking until desired thickness).
Calories per serving: 759
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Braised Short Ribs in Wine
Short Ribs With Vegetables