Veal Chops With Mushrooms
by Updated April 7, 2017,
Photo Credit: Diana Rattray
Mushrooms, wine, and garlic flavor these thick veal chops. The veal chops are an excellent choice for a special occasion dinner. Serve the chops with mashed or baked potatoes and a salad for an easy and elegant meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Trim away any excess fat from the veal chops.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Stir in the flour, tarragon, and Gravy Master. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the beef broth into a 2-cup measure and add enough dry white wine to make 2 cups (one reader mentioned red wine was delicious as well).
- Gradually stir the broth and wine mixture into the flour and butter roux mixture; place the pan back over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Toss the sliced mushrooms with the lemon juice.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter; saute the mushrooms for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Remove the mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and brown the chops for about 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
- Add the sliced onion to the skillet along with the garlic; saute for about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet along with about 1/2 cup of the sauce mixture. Cover the skillet and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the veal chops are tender.
- Add the remaining sauce to the skillet and heat through.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Osso Buco, Braised Veal Shanks
Veal Chops With Sour Cream