Easy Skillet Recipes
Pasta, Cheese, etc.
Soups and Stews
Recipes From Visitors
Photo Credit: Dianaskitchen.com
Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Spices
Serve this tasty spiced red cabbage with pork, ham, or sausages, along with potatoes or a potato salad. This dish makes a tasty side dish, and it is really very easy to prepare.
The subtle spices and some brown sugar and vinegar help to flavor the cabbage, along with garlic and sliced apple.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 32 Minutes
Total Time: 47 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 1 small head of red cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 to 3 inches
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
Heat the 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-low heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened and translucent. Add the poressed garlic and cook, stirring, for one minute longer.
Meanwhile, cut the peeled and cored apples in wedges and cut the wedges lengthwise into thin slices.
To the onion mixture, add the cabbage, apple slices, wine, vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and allspice. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer slowly over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is very tender.
Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Beefy Cabbage Casserole