Southern Bacon Cheddar Cornbread
by Updated April 5, 2017,
Photo Credit: Dianaskitchen.com
Bits of crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese flavor this savory Southern buttermilk cornbread. Add pepper jack cheese instead of the cheddar for extra heat, or mince a jalapeno pepper and mix it into the batter. The best crust comes from a hot cast iron skillet, but a metal baking pan (9-inch) will work as well.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Put a few teaspoons of vegetable oil in the skillet along with 2 to 3 teaspoons of reserved bacon drippings, or coat the skillet with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Place the skillet in the oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbled bacon with the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and shredded cheese. Stir to blend; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of vegetable oil with the eggs and buttermilk. Whisk to blend thoroughly.
- When the oven has come to temperature, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and place it on a trivet.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until well blended. Immediately pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet; return the skillet to the oven.
- Bake the cornbread for 22 to 25 minutes, or until nicely browned and crusty looking around the edges.
- Remove to a rack to cool slightly before cutting.
- Slice the cooled cornbread into wedges and serve it with chili, beans, or greens.
- Serves 8 to 10.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Savory Cheese Cornbread Muffins
Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits