Easy Skillet Recipes
Pasta, Cheese, etc.
Soups and Stews
Stuffed Steak Rolls (Farsumagru)
- 1 1/4 lb top round steak -- 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup beef broth -- low sodium
- 1/4 pound crimini or button mushrooms -- finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley -- minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- fresh grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs -- coarsely ground
- 1 large egg white -- slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic -- minced
- 1 cup Italian plum tomatoes (canned, juice incl) -- coarsely
Slice steak in half crosswise. Place each slice within a folded
plastic wrap and pound with a mallet or the broad side of a chef's
to a thickness slightly less than 1/4 inch.
In a 10 inch nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 cup beef broth over high
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until no liquid is
bottom of pan. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, cheese, pepper,
bread crumbs. Let cool slightly and stir in egg white. Spread
evenly over slices. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from short
Tie each roll with kitchen twine.
Adjust oven rack to center of oven and preheat to 350F.
Wipe out the skillet with paper towels and heat oil over medium
Sear beef rolls on all sides. Transfer rolls to shallow 1 quart
ovenproof casserole. Add garlic to skillet and saute until very
golden, scraping up any fragments that might have stuck to bottom
Stir in remaining 1/2 cup beef broth and the tomatoes. Turn heat
and cook sauce for 2 minutes. Pour sauce over beef rolls.
casserole and bake in preheated oven, basting frequently with
meat is tender when pierced with tip of knife, about 45 minutes.
rolls to plate, cover with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes before
Remove twine and slice rolls at a slight angle into 1 inch slices.
Arrange on platter and spoon a little sauce over each. Serve remaining
From "Lean Italian Cooking" by Anne Casale
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Skillet Swiss Steak
Round Steak Recipe
Beef and Lamb Recipe Index