Apple Juice Roast
by Updated April 1, 2017,
This pot roast gets extra flavor from apple juice and herbs. Sweet potatoes and onions make this pot roast a one pot family meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Cook onions in 1 tablespoon butter in Dutch oven until softened; set aside.
- Dust the pot roast with flour; brown in remaining butter and olive oil over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Pierce entire surface of meat with fork.
- Combine apple juice, ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, and basil; add to meat.
- Top meat with the cooked onions; cover tightly and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 hours or until almost tender.
- Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice; add to meat. Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Place meat and potatoes on warm platter and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Serve gravy over sliced meat.
- Skim excess fat from cooking liquid; add water or stock if needed to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Mix 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoon flour; stir gradually into cooking liquid.
- Heat to boiling; cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
Calories per serving: 611
Fat per serving: 20.5g
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Slow Cooker Brisket and Beer
Best-Ever Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Beef and Lamb Recipe Index