Photo Credit: Dianaskitchen.com
Little Corn Dogs
Use little hot dogs or smokies, or use 2- to 3-inch lengths of regular hot dogs to make these appetizer corn dogs.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Makes 48 corn dog snacks.
- Heat about 3 inches of vegetable oil to 360 F in a deep, heavy saucepan or electric deep fryer.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Work the shortening into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or fork. Add the milk and stir gently; stir in egg until mixture is smooth.
- Insert a toothpick into the end of each wiener,
- leaving about one inch of toothpick exposed.
- Holding each wiener by the toothpick, dip into the cornmeal batter. With a butter knife, spread the batter over the wiener so it is evenly covered.
- Gently drop the wiener into the hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the mini corn dogs warm with Dijon mustard or a honey mustard blend.
- May be prepared, frozen, and stored in freezer bags.
- Heat frozen wieners for 8 to 12 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven.
Printer-Friendly Copy of this Recipe
Saucy Hot Dogs
Main Recipe Index